Monday, July 25, 2005

LCBO Monopoly

Buy your booze, the long weekend is almost upon us!

Oh, and also, you won't be able to do it in a few days if LCBO workers (OLBEU members) decide to strike in protest of the "privatization through stealth mode" (link) of Ontario's liquor sales.

(Heaven forbid we allow competition! Services for consumers would improve! Chaos would ensue! Chaos, I say!!!)

Hopefully they strike and then the government just sells the damn thing. The problem would solve itself, really. It's probably unlikely, though, since they are insisting that, even after commissioning a review of the LCBO, they will not sell.

However, it's a McGuinty government promise, so I guess hope remains.

Now, this is a little selfish on my part, too - the LCBO in my home town is far away from pretty much everything, and I have to drive about ten minutes in the opposite direction of anything I'd usually visit to patronize the closest LCBO.
I'd boycott them if there was somewhere else to buy liquor.

Also, I've dreamt of selling the LCBO. Really.
I'm a strange kid.

1 comment:

MKT said...

You should move to Alberta.

There *really* is a liquor store on every corner...and none of them are on strike!