Friday, June 22, 2007

those damn gas war emails.

I am so excited to find this article on Snopes that I've been waiting all day to blog on it.

How anyone ever got it into their head that boycotting a single gas company at the pumps would make any difference whatsoever to any prices is completely beyond me. It won't.

So read up, folks, and quit forwarding that damned email! It didn't work 5 years ago (or 4 or 3 or 2, or last year), it's not going to work this year, and it won't work in the future.

3 comments:

r a said...

Good point. But since people are genetically programmed to view gas retailers as gougers, rational argument is probably a waste of time.

NB taxpayer said...

My uncle actually sent that email to my dad a few weeks back, not to mention, he added "worth a shot" in the subject line. LOL!!

I guess all I can say is those are the beliefs one ends up with when they don't do their homework.

Zip said...

Useless, but harmless too.

We, all of us, at some level like the idea of "sticking it to the man".

Like the character Winston in "1984" with his forbidden book and his secret place. Writing in the book was harmless but it made him feel that he had some sort of power.

Same same with the Gas boycott, except tomorrow they will just have to buy more gas from somewhere else.

Kind of funny and pathetic.