Tuesday, January 29, 2008

new to my blog rotation...

So I haven't been a terribly great blogger, but I've been a pretty good blog reader. Here are some new ones who have piqued my interest:

It's not quite a blog, but a weekly political talk show on Bowling Green State University's station WBGU FM, Political Animals, co-hosted by Peter Jaworski is also hosted by Jay Lafayette of Perilous Estates and Terrence Watson of The Fusionist Libertarian, who are joining my blog rotation. My favorite aspect of the show is their "enlightened discontent." (Tune in online every Monday from 4:00 - 6:00)

Libertastic - another great resource for enlightened discontent.

The EcoLibertarian, found via Wudrick Blog, is a great blog on environmentalism and how government initiatives hurt our attempts at conservation.

Tom Palmer's blog. I'm not sure why I didn't read this before, I really enjoy it.

They should all be added to my links within a few minutes.

1 comment:

Peter M. Eyre said...

Re: EcoLibertarianims, I wasn't sure how many Georgists were around anymore, much less those that concentrate on environmentalism. Though many of the beliefs of such folks parallel with classical liberals and libertarians, it differs in one significant way: they don't believe in property rights over what they deem "non-material property" (i.e. land). According to the website:

"Persons may exert peaceful honest first control of unowned land and thus acquire the transferable right to possess it indefinitely, so long as its geo-rent is shared with those persons who thus are excluded from it."

Though the site is not explicit in noting how such rent would be shared with all others, from my understanding of Georgists, this is where they see a role for the State -- the collection of rent from folks that productively utilize land -- because their use denies others usage.

Te Georgists present a principled framework in most issues (especially trade) but I have yet to be convinced of their stance on property rights relating to land.